How to Save Your Baby Fish with a Breeder Box
Most fish do not show any parental care toward their offspring, so when they lay eggs or give birth in an aquarium, the next generation can easily become a quick snack for the adults. Babies in the wild will use camouflage to avoid predators. They also swim to shallower waters and hide behind dense vegetation. In an aquarium, we can help increase their survival rate even more by using a breeder box to contain the fry and protect them from larger fish.
What is a Breeder Box?
A breeder net or box is a container used to temporarily hold tiny babies, eggs, or even sick fish that need to be isolated while they heal. Most breeder boxes float at the water surface or attach to the side of the aquarium so that the fry share the same water as the rest of the fish. The Ziss Premium Breeder Box is a great choice to keep the water in the container clean, clear, and oxygenated. It can be hooked up to an electric pump to bring water in the box. There are three mesh screens that allow for maximum water flow.
How to Install the Ziss Breeder Box
1. The following materials are required: Ziss Premium breeder box Airline tubing Check valve – (optional).
1. Cut an 18-24 inch length of airline tubing (45-60 cm). Attach the Ziss breeding box’s air stone (attached to the end of the airline tubeing) to the other end.
1. Install the airstone in the water lift channel. Make sure that the airstone rests on the bottom of the grate.
1. Place the water lift channel on the vertical ridges of the breeder box starting at the bottom.
1. Choose whether you want to attach the tank’s breeder container to the aquarium with the hook or the suction cup bracket. Attach four suction cups to the bracket’s corners. The clear tab located on the other side of the water lift channel is the one that protrudes and curves downward at a 90 degree angle. Place the tab in the bracket, then slide it vertically upwards to lock it into place.
To use the hanger, slide the clear tab from the breeder box into the hanger’s rung and slide it upwards. To adjust the height of the aquarium’s breeder box, insert the downward tab in another rung. The large, plastic screw should be inserted into the hanger.
1. Place the breeder box in the fish tank and secure it to the side of the aquarium wall. The loose end of the airline tube without the airstone should be hung outside the tank. The top of the box should be slightly higher than the water line. – Use the suction cup bracket to attach the breeder boxes to the tank wall. – If using the hanger, hang it on the aquarium rim and use your fingers to tighten the screw until the breeder box is fixed in place.
1. Attach the check valve to the loose end the airline tubing. Make sure the flapper end (looks like horizontal or colored bars) faces away from the aquarium.
1. Place the air pump where it can reach an electric outlet, if necessary. Cut another length of airline tubing so that the air pump can reach the check valve. Connect the air pump and check valve using the second piece of airline tubing. After plugging in the air pump, bubbles should appear inside the breeder’s airstone. If there are no bubbles, check for air leaks and flip the check valve. Optional: You can add an air valve to regulate the water flow to the breeder box by cutting the second length of airline tube into two pieces. Attach an air valve between check valve and air pump.
1. The box can be used to store the eggs, fry, or sick fish. You can also add live plants or other decorations to provide shelter for the babies.
1. The lid should be placed on top of the box. The lid has a hole that can be used to feed the fish or open the lid easily.
A Few Questions to Ask About Breeder Boxes
How do you clean a breeder box?
The breeder box may become a breeding ground for fish waste and uncooked food. A turkey baster can be used to remove the waste. To clean the Ziss breeding box’s sides, use an algae scrubber or toothbrush.
How much time do you allow fry to stay in the breeding box? The babies must be big enough that they won’t fit in the mouths or the mouths the adult fish. Before you put them back in your main tank, For livebearer fry, this may be as soon as 4 to 5 weeks.
What to do with baby fish that you don’t like? You can give them to friends or donate them to a chain of pet stores. Or you could sell them to your local fish shop. Learn how to make extra money with fish breeding in order to help your aquarium hobby.